Kami Iron Ore Project
Proponent: Alderon Iron Ore Corp.
Summary of Environmental Assessment Process
Alderon Iron Ore Corp (Alderon) is proposing to develop an open-pit iron ore mine in
western Labrador and to build associated infrastructure at Port of Sept-Îles, Quebec. The
proposed mine site is located six kilometres south of Wabush Mines in the vicinity of the
towns of Wabush, Labrador City and Fermont. The mine site is situated entirely within
Labrador and has an approximate area of 7,700 hectares. The project will produce up to
16 million metric tonnes of iron ore concentrate per year that will be transported by
existing railway to the Port of Sept-Îles, Quebec.
The proposed project includes construction, operation, rehabilitation and closure of the
following primary components: open pit, waste rock disposal areas, processing
infrastructure, tailings management facility, ancillary infrastructure to support the mine
and processing plant, and a rail transportation component. The project is scheduled to
start construction in late 2013 or early 2014; operations are projected to be completed
by 2030 followed with the decommissioning and rehabilitation phases.
- October 14, 2011 - The undertaking was registered.
- November 9, 2011 - Addendum to project received.
- November 21, 2011 - Public comments are due.
- November 28, 2011 - The Minister's decision is due.
- December 8, 2011 - Environmental Impact Statement required.
- February 1, 2012 - Environmental Assessment Committee Appointed.
- February 8, 2012 - Draft Environmental Impact Statement Guidelines/Scoping Document for Public Review.
- July 5, 2012 - Environmental Impact Statement Final Guidelines Approved.
- October 1, 2012 - Environmental Impact Statement Submitted.
- October 19, 2012 - Ammendment to Environmental Impact Statement.
- December 14, 2012 - Environmental Impact Statement Requires Additional Work.
- February 15, 2013 - Amendment to the Environmental Impact Statement Submitted.
- May 9, 2013 - Environmental Impact Statement Requires Additional Work.
- June 27, 2013 - Additional Amendment to the Environmental Impact Statement Submitted
- October 3, 2013 - Environmental Impact Statement and Amendments Accepted
- January 10, 2014 - The Minister has announced that the project is released.
- May 16, 2014 - Plans Approved.
- June 5, 2014 - Water Monitoring Network Agreement Approved.
- January 10, 2014 - Project released.